Re: Reiser4: Format 4.0.1: Meta(data) checksums

Niltze, Ed-

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Edward Shishkin
<edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is the first release of new software versions of reiser4 kernel
> module and reiser4prods, which invoke the builtin mechanism of
> tracking compatibility basing on versions of reiser4 plugin library.
> More about this can be found here:
> https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Reiser4_development_model
>
> Reiser4progs of the new software release version number 4.0.1
> are provided by the package reiser4progs-1.1.0. Please find here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4/files/reiser4-utils/reiser4progs
>
> Reiser4 kernel module of the new software release version number
> 4.0.1 is provided by the patch reiser4-for-4.1.5. Please find here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4/files/reiser4-for-linux-4.x/
>
> At mount time disk format version of your partition's superblock will
> be upgraded by the kernel, and you will be suggested to complete the
> upgrade offline by fsck:
>
> # dmesg | grep [rR]eiser4
> reiser4: sda5: found disk format 4.0.0.
> reiser4: sda5: upgrading disk format to 4.0.1.
> reiser4: sda5: use 'fsck.reiser4 --fix' to complete disk format upgrade.
>
> You may ignore this suggestion and continue to work as usual.
> However, I would suggest to find a time and complete the upgrade.
>
> NOTE: after mount in the new kernel you won' t be able to
> check your partition by reiser4progs-1.0.9 and older versions, so
> please upgrade your reiser4progs BEFORE. Everyone who relies on
> liveCDs with reiser4progs-1.0.9, or older versions: be careful!
>
> More about reiser4 (meta)data checksums can be found here:
> https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Reiser4_checksums
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.
> --

I have applied reiser4-for-4.1.5.patch.gz to both pristine
linux-4.1.5.tar.xz from kernel.org and to 4.1.6 from upstream Debian
and both kernels fail to (re)boot into the Reiser4 root partition in
which they were built.

I am using Debian Sid reiser4progs_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb from
https://packages.debian.org/sid/reiser4progs

In both instances, after GRUB boots from the boot partition into the
root Reiser4 partition and message after
fsck.reiser4 /dev/sdaX
[ 3.979349 ] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
0000000000000069
[...]
(initramfs prompt) will not boot into its Reiser4 partition

>From another partition I have even tried (using
reiser4progs_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb, too)
fsck.reiser4 --version
fsck.reiser4 1.1.0
Format release: 4.0.1
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 by Hans Reiser, licensing governed by
reiser4progs/COPYING.

fsck.reiser4 --fix /dev/sdaX
and
fsck.reiser4  --build-fs /dev/sdaX

which finished fine. Nevertheless upon rebooting into fsck'ed
partition with the Reiser4 4.0.1 kernel module nothing changes, i.e.,
I get BUG and kernel boot stops at initramfs prompt.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it