reiser4 (ccreg40): very slow mount, poor unlink performance, questions about compression modes

Hi!

The preamble: recently I had to force-change my configuration (the old laptop
was stolen). What I have now is a combination of a tiny 16 GiB SSD and a huge
1 TiB HDD.

...So I've placed my /home on HDD. Partition size is 800 GiB, formatting
options are "create=ccreg40,compress=gzip1,compressMode=latt" and I have a few
questions.

1. What is the recommended compression mode?
More specifically, what is the default "conv" mode? What is its purpose, why is
it the default?
I'm asking, because I wasn't able to understand its purpose from code, and the
code itself looks hackish in some places (hardcoded fallback to extent-only
files, hardcoded policy, hardcoded fallback to "latt" in many cases, etc).

2. The mount time of a 800-GiB partition is >20 seconds. And with
dont_load_bitmap it's around 1-2 seconds. Why so much? Why other filesystems
have drastically less mount times? If they have an equivalent of
dont_load_bitmap enabled by default, why don't we do it?

3. Given a directory tree with ~20k files of total size around 20 GiB,
its removal takes forever. From strace I see that a single unlink takes
~1 second. Again, why so much? Is it related to my choice of "latt" compression
mode over the default "conv"?

3a. I can reproduce the "directory not empty" bug :) Interestingly, it is
always the same directory under the aforementioned huge hierarchy. (I've
done the unpack-remove cycle a few times.)

Thanks,
--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /