Re: reiser4: FITRIM ioctl -- how to grab the space?

On 08/16/2014 02:44 AM, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
On Monday 11 August 2014 at 13:39:12, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
[...]
I've meant "grabbing all space and then allocating all space" -- so there won't
be multiple grabs or multiple atoms.

Then all processes grabbing space with BA_CAN_COMMIT will wait for the discard
atom to commit.

It seems such waiting will screw up the system. No?
I was afraid of such situations, but how would that happen? The discard atom's
commit will always be able to proceed as it doesn't grab space at all.

   (Actually, there is a small race window between grabbing space
and creating an atom...)

Which one?
BA_CAN_COMMIT machinery does wait only for atoms, not for contexts. If
process X happens to grab space between us grabbing space and creating an atom,
it will get -ENOSPC even with BA_CAN_COMMIT.

I still don't see any "races" here. How atom creation is related to grabbing
space? Are we talking about races in the existing code? f so, please show
the racing paths..

The only problem is to wait for (sbinfo->block_count == sbinfo->blocks_used +
sbinfo->blocks_free) condition, i. e. until no blocks are reserved in any form,
and then to grab all space atomically wrt. reaching this condition.

Again, if this is not feasible, I'll go with the multiple atoms approach. I
just want to make sure.

...so, I've almost given up implementing this :)

great!

In kernel there is a read-write semaphore implementation called rwsem.
I've added a per-superblock instance of rwsem with following semantics:

- when count of grabbed+special (not free or used) blocks is increased by any
   means, the semaphore is taken for reading before taking spinlock and
   modifying counters

- if the counters already were non-zero, the semaphore has been already taken
   for reading (reader count > 1) and it is released once while under spinlock
   (so that reader count always stays at 1)

- when count of grabbed+special blocks is decreased and drops to zero, the
   semaphore is released once (so reader count drops to 0 unless there is a race
   with increasing the count)

- on second try of BA_CAN_COMMIT grabbing (if there was not enough space),
   the semaphore is taken for writing instead of for reading, ensuring
   that every block is either permanently used or free. The write lock is
   converted to read lock after grabbing required space.

This "almost" works. The main problem is that Linux rwsem implementation
is write-biased: that is, if there are writers waiting, readers count can't
increase. That is, a process must not take a semaphore for reading in second
time if it is responsible for releasing the "first time" reader.

The comment in original rwsem implementation by Andrew Morton states following:
"It is NOT legal for one task to down_read() an rwsem multiple times."

   reader1     writer1
------------------------
down_read()
             down_write()
             up_write()
down_read()
up_read()
up_read()

This is a deadlock: reader1's down_read() blocks on writer1's up_write(),
while writer1's down_write() blocks on reader1's second up_read().

A force grab (or a grab preceded by grab_space_enable(), or a used2something)
deadlocks 100% in presence of waiting writers, and so does the corresponding
transaction commit.

So I need to find a way to take rwsem in a read-biased mode... Any advice is
accepted, including "give up with adding of yet another lock and go with
multiple transactions" :)

IMHO this is too complicated.

Why don't you want to grab, say, 20M per iteration?
It should work without any problems, just maintain a
counter of blocks allocated in the iteration..

Thanks,
Edward.