Re: reiser4: FITRIM ioctl -- where to place the handler?

On Thursday 31 July 2014 at 23:37:34, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> Do we really need this ioctl?
> If we implement precise discard (with garbage collection),
> then I don't see any applications for this ioctl..
>
> Edward.

I think that we need it: think of unclean unmounts, fs corruptions (fsck does
not discard new free space), forgotten 'discard' mount option, etc...

Having as much discarded space as possible is important not only for having
faster writes, but also for the background firmware-based wear leveling to
function efficiently.

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /