Re: Deleting a 5 GB directory in Reiser4 hangs system(s)

Thanks, Ivan!

fsck.reiser4 --build-fs <unmounted reiser4 dev>

(wait for long process)

but it worked: I was able to rm -rf old-directory/

However, I do not think that the root fs corruption was caused by
Reiser4 itself. Some background info below.

Out of the four or five Reiser4 instances that I am currently testing,
that was the only root reiser4 fs instance/partition that I was having
issues with.

Couple of weeks prior to experiencing issue described, I had booted a
program (from bootable media) in my dev/test machine where the problem
partition resides. That program -- without warning -- executed:
"parted -s /dev/${tgtdrive} mklabel gpt" effectively destroying my
partition table.

I was in a predicament because most (if not all) of the rescue
bootable media out there do not support reiser4 and I had to hack my
own < http://sourceforge.net/projects/xonecuiltzin/ >.

Evidently I had to recover by using testdisk and gparted utilities to
bring back my original partitions. The reiser4 partition in question
initially was not bootable nor mountable; thus I had previously
executed fsck.reiser4 --fix <unmounted-partition>.

Afterwards, yes, I was able to mount/boot the reiser4 partition and I
*assumed* it was *fixed*.
But I was unaware that I had to use: --build-fs
              "fixes all severe fs corruptions, except super block
ones; rebuilds reiser4 filesystem from the scratch if needed."

Anyhow, Ivan & doiggl, appreciate your help. Issue was collateral
damage of destroyed partition and not from Reiser4 per se.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com
Daylight Saving Time in USA & Canada ends: Sunday, November 02, 2014