Re: reiser4: discard implementation, pass 2: allocation issues

On Sunday 15 June 2014 at 19:36:05, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> On 06/13/2014 10:28 PM, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
> > Here is my "analysis" of what happens in reiser4 during a transaction's
> > lifetime wrt. block allocation and deallocation.
> >

> > THE EFFECTS (SEMANTICS) OF RELATED FUNCTIONS
> > reiser4_alloc_blocks_bitmap(): allocates in WORKING BITMAP
>
> Yes.
>
> > reiser4_dealloc_blocks_bitmap(!BA_DEFER): deallocates from WORKING BITMAP
> > reiser4_dealloc_blocks_bitmap(BA_DEFER): stores to ->delete_set
>
> This is correct for the middle-level allocator (without suffix "bitmap").
> The low-level one frees blocks only in WORKING BITMAP.

Yes, this was a wording mistake. I've noticed it shortly after sending...

> > reiser4_pre_commit_hook_bitmap(): allocates all relocated nodes in COMMIT BITMAP
>
> "Relocated" is bad term here: nodes with new data also get the flag
> JNODE_RELOC. So, I would rather say, that it applies freshly allocated
> nodes of the atom to COMMIT BITMAP.
>

> >                                    deallocates ->delete_set from COMMIT BITMAP
>
> applies the atom's delete_set to COMMIT BITMAP

I've meant exactly this.

> > reiser4_post_commit_hook(): deallocates ->delete_set using !BA_DEFER
> >                                                     (i. e. from WORKING BITMAP)
>
> applies the atom's delete_set to WORKING BITMAP.

ditto

> I would also mention a function of the middle-level block allocator
> reiser4_alloc_blocks(): allocates blocks in WORKING  BITMAP.

Yes, sure.

> Note that the middle-level block allocator (block_alloc.c) actually
> manipulates
> with abstract space maps. Currently in reiser4 they are represented only by
> bitmaps (plugin/space/bitmap.c). We can also implement another
> representation -
> extent tree (like in XFS). I don't see any needs for now, though.

Extent trees seem to be interesting.. They claim that they are more efficient -
is the difference that huge?

> > TIMELINE OF ALLOCATIONS FOR "USUAL" NODES, AND TIMELINE OF TRANSACTION COMMIT
> > - nodes are allocated using reiser4_alloc_blocks() and setting JNODE_RELOC,
> >    so WORKING BITMAP ensures that two nodes cannot get the same block;
> > - nodes are deallocated using reiser4_dealloc_blocks(BA_DEFER),
> >    so their deallocation is not immediately reflected in WORKING BITMAP;
> > (the relocate set is written here)
> > - reiser4_pre_commit_hook_bitmap() uses 1) JNODE_RELOC flag and 2) ->delete_set
> >    to convey effective bitmap changes into COMMIT BITMAP;
> > (the journal and overwrite set are written here)
> > - reiser4_post_commit_hook() uses ->delete_set to convey deallocations
> >    from step 2 to WORKING BITMAP.
> > (the discard happens here)
> >

> > TIMELINE OF ALLOCATIONS FOR WANDERED JOURNAL BLOCKS
> > - at commit time, blocks are allocated using reiser4_alloc_blocks(), so they
> >    are allocated in WORKING BITMAP and do not interfere with any "usual" blocks;
> > - after writing wandered blocks, they are deallocated using
> >    reiser4_dealloc_blocks(!BA_DEFER), i. e. from the WORKING BITMAP.
>

> So, the system of working and commit bitmaps plus the delete set seems
> to be redundant? I think this is because of performance reasons: block
> allocation is critical thing...

Seems like it is -- for performance and simplicity (== robustness).

> > CONCLUSION
> > At possible transaction replay time, journal blocks are not allocated in any
> > of the bitmaps. However, because the journal is read and replayed before a
> > transaction has a chance to commit, this fact does not matter.
> > What matters is that wandered journal blocks never hit COMMIT BITMAP.
> >
> > So, if I've got all this correct (which I highly doubt), the disk space leak
> > (as you pointed it out) does not exist.
>
> It seems, you are right..
>

> > What exists is a rather different problem with my idea of "log every
> > deallocated block". Current implementation logs every block regardless of
> > BA_DEFER flag presence or absence, so non-wandered blocks are logged twice.
> >
> > We could just use ->delete_set, but we would lose wandered blocks then.
> > Or we could only log !BA_DEFER requests, which would do the right thing
> > (wandered blocks + deallocations from reiser4_post_commit_hook()), but
> > the reasoning behind this decision would not be obvious for a casual
> > code reader.
>
> I think that a good comment will save the situation..
>
> > Or we could log only wandered blocks (in addition to ->delete_set)
> > at discard time, but this is messy and requires us to merge the discard log
> > with ->delete_set at discard time.
>
> what is the difference with the previous "we could.."?

The previous option is to log all !BA_DEFER requests in addition to
->delete_set, so those two block sets would be partially overlapping.

And this option is to log only those !BA_DEFER requests which are not in
->delete_set, so no block will be stored twice. Thus we will have to consider
both ->delete_set and this hypothetical ->discard_set at discard time.

> > Or we could log wandered blocks straight into ->delete_set and do something in
> > reiser4_post_commit_hook() to separate these entries, but this is super messy.
> >
> > I'm preferring the second way... Edward, please proof-read all this.
>
> BTW, what about your current implementation? Does it work for you?

Yes, it apparently does (no massive corruptions).

I get batches of "orphan cluster" errors from time to time (from offset 0 till
the supposed end of file), but 1) I do not see which files get corrupted,
2) this could be due to txmod=wa, 3) my machine is pretty crashy now due to
some driver issues, so I don't know what exactly causes this.

Thanks for proof-reading. What do you think about all this?

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /