Re: Information Request

On 10/25/2011 09:55 AM, Dušan Čolić wrote:
Hello

2011/10/24 Edward Shishkin<edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx>:
If you need reiser4 patches against some vanilla kernel, send me a
request.

NOTE: reiser4 is prone to crash under high workload because of
old bug, which is not yet fixed. Fsck copes with corruptions
caused by this bug (appearing objects with inconsistent key order),
however, this makes reiser4 improper for using in production
systems (file servers, etc.)

Could we get a list of confirmed bugs for latest R4,

All bugreports are resolved to only one bug.

The shit is in balancing code I didn't touch. The order of
keys gets inconsistent at TWIG level while handling secondary
COP_INSERT requests generated by new node insertions on LEAF
level.

And the broken order propagates to upper levels because of
delimiting keys assignment policy. As a result some objects
can not be found with the following kernel complaints about
inconsistent key order.

 so that we know
its limitations and to avoid dangerous use cases.

You need to make sure you can easily fsck your reiser4 partition
at any time. So if you have root on reiser4, you also need to have
a rescue CD with reiser4 support, etc. Also for this reason try to
avoid too large partitions.

Will kernel.org place for patches be back?

It is rather painful to follow their paranoid instructions.
I think to consider sourceforge.net as a such place (not sure
for now).

Can we get 3.0 patch and pitfall list :) ?

I have a patch for .39. It also should work for 3.0
If you need this one, then send me a request.

Thanks,
Edward.
P.S. I'll be unreachable from Oct 26 to Nov 07.

 From all the FSes I try I still get the best data safety and response
time with R4, even in this state :)

Thanks

Dusan