Re: Reiser4 Oops on vanilla 2.6.37.2

On 09/03/11 22:02, Edward Shishkin wrote:
On 03/06/2011 12:08 AM, reiserfs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 05/03/11 22:40, Edward Shishkin wrote:
On 03/05/2011 03:29 PM, Eddie Chapman wrote:
Hello,

Hello.

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

Firstly many thanks for the brilliant work being put into reiser4.

Been using reiser4 for about 10 days or so on two software raid6
devices
containing lots of imap mail directories. One partition has about 55GB
mail in total, the other only about 4GB.

So far so good with no major problems until this morning, when the Oops
below (scroll down to bottom of mail) happened. The system continued
functioning with no apparent data loss except load average rose to 24
within about 30 secs of the Oops and continued to rise steadily until
system became unresponsive after 3-4 hrs with load average at 1189.

This is a Centos 5.5 64 bit box with vanilla kernel.org 2.6.37.2 and
reiser4-for-2.6.37.patch

I have both the raid md devices mounted as reiser4 with
noatime,nodiratime

I notice this Oops reported here and Edward's patch to address the
problem:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/reiserfs-devel/msg02648.html

Searching through reiser4-for-2.6.37.patch it seems that patch is in
there, but I still got the Oops.

This is another problem.

Aaah yes you're right, I just saw jbd2__journal_start and
ext4_journal_start_sb in both Oops but didn't look further.

Similarly to the previous case, this box is using ext4 for all the
other
filesystems.

If another patch is not possible in the near future would downgrading
the
other filesystems to ext3 be a temporary workaround for this issue?

I have attached a temporal workaround, it should help.
Note, that I didn't test this patch: I'll be able to do it
at the end of weekends.

Many thanks, I will apply it tonight and report back.

Eddie

Sorry, I've encountered strange deadlocks with this patch.
Please, roll it back and use the attached one as the temporal
workaround.

Thanks,
Edward.

Hi Edward,

OK, thanks. I applied the first one at the weekend and the box hasn't had any problems it is still up. I'll apply this one tonight and email an update after it has been in use for a while.

I'll update to vanilla 2.6.27.3 at the same time, hope that's OK, if you think that's a bad idea let me know.

Thanks,
Eddie