Re: R4 2.6.33 inconsistent keys

Luciano wrote:
First, thanks for this great filesystem. Been using it for years
without probs, so I hope it gets integrated into the mainline soon.

However, I'm having some problems after upgrading from kernel 2.6.31.6
to 2.6.33. This is a 64 bit gentoo-patched kernel (just patches for
stability, I believe - no new features), with the reiser4 patches from
Edward's site. It's happened to me twice now that my X session locks
up and I see the following in my logs:

Mar 19 15:05:23 [kernel] WARNING: Keys are inconsistent. Fsck?
Mar 19 15:05:23 [kernel] reiser4[gconfd-2(6033)]: cbk_level_lookup
(fs/reiser4/search.c:963)[vs-3533]:

Yup, I know about this problem. I think this is an old bug which was
sleeping and has woken up after mainline upgrade to 2.6.31.X

I remember that VS pursued this bug with partial success right
before leaving 2.5 years ago.

This is reproducible for me and I am trying to narrow down the
problem. However, I have only weekends for this, so perhaps it
will take a time..

Thanks,
Edward.

P.S. One more old nasty thing: a phantom ENOSPC:
sometimes an application returns the ENOSPC while there is a lot
of space on the device. This bug is unix-file plugin-specific.

The previous time it happened the messages were similar but the
process was 'firefox' instead of gconfd.

When this happens it quickly fills up the logs and old ones are
overwritten; so I'm never able to get initial messages that may help
diagnose the problem. I have the full set of logs if you are
interested, but it just repeats the same message over and over.

After this, I can only cold boot, and the filesystem refuses to mount,
but I'm able to fix it with fsck. It complains about 'delimiting' keys
being zero. I fix this with the relevant fsck switch and as far as I
can tell there is no permanent damage to my files.

Finally I should mention that I also have a R4 root partition but that
hasn't had any problems. This is only happening on my home partition.
I should also note that it's mounted over a LUKS device using
/dev/mapper. I don't know much about the way that works, but I think
it just treats it as a block device, so if the problem were there, it
would manifest itself in different ways in the R4 layer. The fact that
it's always setting the delimiting keys to zero makes me think it's an
R4 problem. But then again I don't know much about this so I could be
utterly wrong.

Please let me know if I can contribute in any way.