Re: Reiser4 module and 2.6.29-x-default kernel

Edward Shishkin wrote:
> Jeff Mahoney wrote:

> Hi Glenn -
>

>> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm afraid it's not as simple as a series of commands. I do need to
> update the patch to the 2.6.29 version
>
>> ah, you maintain 2.6.small_nr + series of patches..?

I'm one of the maintainers of the SUSE kernels. For current Factory,
that means 2.6.30-rc6-git3 plus about 270 patches.

In this case, though, I just meant that I take the patch from your FTP
repo and turn it into a tarball for use in building an RPM. I take the
bits that aren't under fs/reiser4/ and apply them to our kernel tree so
users trying to use reiser4 aren't stuck having to rebuild their entire
kernel just to use it.

>  which doesn't have the
> ->commit_write and ->prepare_write hooks that have been removed.
>
>> this goes here:
>> http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/reiser4-adjust-to-the-new-aops.patch

Yes, and as far as I saw, the current patch in the repo doesn't use them
either.

>  The
> other thing is that it needs more support in the kernel itself.
> Previously it was limited to exports and adding a new hook, which I
> could accept without much worry. I'm concerned about whether
> set_buffers_dirty_notag() will make it upstream and I'm uncertain of the
> interactions.
>

>> I think it'll be pushed to upstream simultaneously with reiser4,
>> unless someone needs to not tag every dirty page in the radix tree..
>
> Edward - What's the reasoning behind it?
>
>> The reason is to reduce a cost of maintenance.
>
>> Since reiser4_set_page_internal() is not in vfs library
>> bad things are bound to happen. For example, set_page_dirty()
>> and friends were modified by vfs folks to update dirty pages
>> accounting and of course nobody knew that there are other
>> "friends" in reiser4 code, so I have spent a lot of time to figure
>> out why oom kills processes of dbench 190...
>
>  Has it been submitted upstream
> yet?
>
>> Nup, this is in -mm

Ok, if that's the goal, I can just track it when I update the reiser4 patch.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs