RE: Problem with reiserfs volume

> This sounds somewhat like an intermittent problem I reported on 2008-02-
> 20:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/reiserfs-devel/msg00702.html
>
> The gist of the issue, apparently, was that writing files would cause
> those files to be cached and the kernel would drop reiserfs bitmap data
> to make room in the page cache. Once those bitmaps were dropped from the
> cache and another file needed to be written, many bitmaps needed to be
> read back from the disk in order to find free space. The bitmaps are
> small, but spaced every 128 MB, so very many seeks were needed and the
> read speed was quite slow.
>
> All that seeking caused the disk to buzz distinctively. Try listening
> for that, or looking at the disk read/write activity with something like
> dstat.

No, I did a fair bit of additional investigation, and the symptoms were
fairly odd.  When a halt would occur, all writes at every level would fall
to dead zero.  The reads at the array level would fall to zero on 5 of the
10 drives, while the other 5 would report a very low level of read activity,
but not zero.  It would always be the same 5 drives which dropped to zero
and the same 5 which still reported some reads going on.  Note if a RAID
resync was occurring, then all 10 drives would continue to report
significant read rates at the drive level, but array level read / writes
would stop altogether.  The likelihood of a halt event was fairly low if
there was no drive activity, and increased as the level of drive activity
(read or write) increased.  During a RAID resync, almost every file create
causes a halt.  After exhausting all my abilities to troubleshoot the issue,
I finally erased the entire array and reformatted it as XFS.  I am still
transferring the data from the backup to the RAID array, but with over 30%
of the data transferred and over 10,000 files created in the last several
days, I have not been able to trigger a halt event.  What's more, my file
delete performance for large files was very poor under Reiserfs.  A 20G file
could take upwards of 30 seconds to delete, although deleting a file never
caused a file system halt like creating a file did.  Under the new file
system, deleting a 20G file takes typically 0.1 seconds or less.

This definitely suggests there may be a problem with Reiserfs.  The only
things which changed from the last array to this one were the physical drive
locations in the array (I had swapped drives around to try to pinpoint the
issue), a Version 1.2 Superblock in the new array vs. 0.9 in the old array,
and a 256K chunk size rather than the default 64K to improve performance.