Re: Hi Reiserfs-dev

Steven wrote:
> Thanks for the replies :) Thats the first time i've heard about barriers.
>
> I've always used noatime.. so thats no the issue. (I recently learnt to disable the dodgy Fedora readahead service too, and can't remember if i knew about this back then). Part of the problem is Reiser3 is so damn good (speed and robustness), and even FreeBSD has RO support nowadays, it's going to be hard to change even though reiser4's tail packing always got me excited.

Actually, tail _conversion_ (not packing).

Working around dirty polymorphisms in the ITEM interface (a file built
of tails can not be mmap-ed with flags VM_MAYWRITE | VM_SHARED)
plus working around deadlock issues make its implementation very
complex.

So I would prefer reiser4 to go to mainline without tail stuff. However it
will require to fork the stuff for people who are not ready to reformat
their partitions, and it is not good, because somebody should take
care of the second branch. Any ideas?

Edward.