Re: Reiser4 on dmcrypt

Edward Shishkin wrote:
Anders Aagaard wrote:
Hi

Been trying to move my home directory over to reiser4, and I ran into
some issues, this is what I did:

PASSCODE="temptest"
echo $PASSCODE | cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdf6 -c
twofish-cbc-essiv:sha256 -s 256
echo $PASSCODE | cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdf6 tempHome
mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40,compress=lzo1 /dev/mapper/tempHome

mount -t reiser4 -o noatime /dev/mapper/tempHome /mnt/x

rsync -vax --progress /home/neuron/ /mnt/x/

During rsync I noticed this in top while moving over a virtualbox image:
 2427 root      20   0     0    0    0 R  100  0.0  14:32.01 pdflush
 9497 root      20   0     0    0    0 R  100  0.0  11:38.48 rsync

It did continue, but I figured something was wrong, so I interrupted
the rsync and unmounted.  The rsync reported my copy speed was down to
3-4mb/sec.  This is on a fairly new quad core, so I should be able to
encrypt and compress the data without difficulty.

Yeah, something goes wrong..
Would you please try default (reg40) plugin in the same configuration?

That does work, although the performance reported by rsync seems very unstable (although that could be a lot of issues), varying between 10 and 25mb/sec. Note that I do not have the patch to enable write barriers on single dm devices, so it's running in "synchronous write", I will try with that patch aswell though.

Thanks,
Edward.

I remounted and started again, it starts by coping at 14-15mb/sec, and
then just slows down as pdflush hits 100% cpu usage.  Iowait also goes
down to around 5%.  When I interrupt it pdflush disapears instantly,
and rsync sticks around for 10-15 seconds (making it unmountable for
that period) until it dies.

The file it's having problems with is a 6.8gb virtualbox image I use
as a gentoo test enviroment.

Anders Aagaard
reiserfs-devel" in