Re: kernel BUG at fs/reiser4/plugin/item/ctail.c

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag, 4. August 2008, Dushan Tcholich wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Edward Shishkin
>>
>> <edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Why?
>>> Do you have any problems with boot?
>>>
>> I don't have problems.
>> I just thought that checking for these false positives lasted 10
>> minutes on my 6GB / so wouldn't this be a little too long if we don't
>> put some status of some sorts?

>>> Everything should be the same except per-file warnings.
>>>
>> Maybe a better explanation would be better instead just: "600000 small
>> errors found" :)

There is no big problem here:

Kernel:
-----------
For unix-file plugin:
(1) set i_size and real size which coincide with each other;
(2) don't protect data by checksums (for performance reasons).

For cryptcompress plugin:
(1) set  i_size which usually doesn't coincide with real size;
(2) don' t set real size for performance issues.
(3) set data checksums for every logical cluster;

Fsck:
----------
I. For unix-file plugin:
(1) check if i_size == real size, if no then
     (a) report error and
     (b) handle as corruption

II. For cryptcompress plugin:
(1) check checksums; If wrong, then handle as corruption;
(2) check if i_size == real size, if no, then
     (a) report error;
     (b) set correct real size;

It is clear, that (II.2.a) is not needed. Just because (II.1): checksums is
the best means to detect corruptions.