Re: Check for ccreg40

Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

Hi,

I haven't looked at r4 development for a while now and I have a few questions.

[...]

I am confused, does reg40 means no compression, or does the compress lzo1 being there means compression?

Is it possible to create a regular r4 partition and choose which files keep compressed (how?)

Not yet.
There is a (deprecated) pseudo-file interface, which allows to set
compression et al per directory (the latest patch is against 2.6.13).

or do I have to create a all-compressed partition?

Yes.
Reiser4 has means to automatically reduce cpu and memory usage on
incompressible data.

With the default plugin scheduler (compressMode: "conv") conversion
will be performed in 2 interfaces:
1. FILE: convert cryptcompress to unix-file plugin;
2. COMPRESS: turn on/off compression in flush time.

However, this scheduler uses very simple heuristics which work
incorrectly on various media files, etc.. I believe it can be improved
to process 80-90% of _all_ files properly.

To play with compression can I just use the standard patch from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/ ?

Yes.

Does this patch include also file-as-directory stuff?

No, this stuff was removed (see my comment about pseudo-file interface above)

BTW it might be good to change the *Reiser4 is released!* message on

       http://reiser4.erudified.com/install_v4.html

to at least point to

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/

instead of giving a 404.

This is a temporal place for Hans's whitepaper.
I don't have a time to fix all the links to work properly.

Thanks,
Edward.