Re: Forked reiserfsprogs

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 01:28 +0400, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> Jeff Mahoney wrote:
>
> > Edward Shishkin wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > >Problems:
> >
> > >1. The status of Reiserfsprogs-3.6.20.1 should be clarified.
> > >  Did the Vladimir's branch get testing?
> >

> > I believe this is the version I was working with. It got testing, and
> > the results weren't good. I'm not sure if these are specific to
> > Vladimir's version or to Vitaly's version,
>

> I think it was Vitaly's one (3.6.20), as Vladimir told about monthly
> snapshots somewhere in ./tmp..
>
> > but when I pushed it for a
> > SLE10 SP2 alpha, I ended up getting lots of bug reports. They focused
> > mainly in the area of endianness and divide-by-zero errors. So, I
> > wouldn't call this version stable at all.
>

> Hum.. I didn't know about it. It seems we need to rename it to something
> like 3.6.20-preX..
>
> > I didn't have the time or
> > interest to figure out what these problems were especially since, at the
> > time, I was told a real 3.6.20 didn't actually exist. I ended up backing
> > out the change and porting all my patches to what you're calling 3.6.19.1.
> >
> > >2. I don't have Reiserfsprogs-3.6.20.1. Are there any snapshot
> > >  on this mirror that can be put for public needs:
> > >  ftp://ftp.icm.edu.pl/packages/linux-reiserfs ?
> > >3. Perhaps, I will need help in addressing possible bugreports
> > >  and the final merge of all branches.
> >
> > >Any comments, updates, suggestions?
> >

> > If we actually have a stable 3.6.20, I'd be happy to forward port my
> > patches. One thing needs to happen, though: We absolutely need to start
> > testing on big endian hardware. We ship reiserfs on both powerpc and
> > s390, and hit the endian bugs quickly on those systems.
> >

> Perhaps, I'll buy a cheap Mac G3 for testing (it is also needed for
> reiser4),

You could also try PearPC. On a fast x86/amd64 machine it probably isn't
any slower than a low-spec G3.

I have a beige G3 I'm not doing anything with (aside from testing
reiser4 on it some time ago), but getting it to boot Linux without MacOS
8/9 installed is borderline voodoo, so I assume you wouldn't be
interested.