From: Edward Shishkin [mailto:edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:41 AM
To: Jeff Mahoney
Cc: ric@xxxxxxx; Christian Kujau; kgp; reiserfs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: bad block management

Jeff Mahoney wrote:

> Ric Wheeler wrote:
>
> >Christian Kujau wrote:

> >>Is reiserfsck's --badblocks option helpful?

> >>Doesn't "Spared UDF" already provide some kind of bad block management?
> >>
> >>C.
>
> >I am not sure what you want to do with bad block management.
>
> >With most modern disk drives, they will remap bad disk sectors
> >dynamically for you so the file system layer can stay out of the bad
> >block mapping business entirely.
>

> He's asking about UDF, though, so I'd imagine he's talking about optical
> media. It's even cheaper than disk though, so I guess I don't see the
> benefit.
>
> Reiserfs handles bad blocks by allocating the blocks input as "known
> bad" to special file that's inaccessible. It does _not_ do this
> automatically, and reiserfsck/mkreiserfs must be passed a list of blocks
> to allocate to that file. It also doesn't recover files that have been
> corrupted to the block failure.

Here are the instructions:
http://chichkin_i.zelnet.ru/bad-block-handling.html

> Ric's right about disk drives, though. They'll remap the bad sectors
> automatically at the hardware level. When you start to see bad sectors
> at the file system level, it means that the sectors reserved for
> remapping have been exhausted and you should replace the disk.
>
> -Jeff
>
> --
> Jeff Mahoney
> SUSE Labs

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.

Contact your Administrator for further information.