Fwd: reiser4-for-2.6.22-2.patch

On 8/18/07, Edward Shishkin <edward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
> >Edward,
> >
> >I just encountered a pretty strange situation:
> >
> >first some data:
> >I'm running hardened Gentoo with glibc 2.6.1 & gcc-4.2.1 both with
> >hardened use-flags enabled
> >- my kernel running is a 2.6.22-based kernel with grsecurity and some
> >other fine speed enhancements (ck-patchset, adaptive readahead, latest
> >reiser4 patch 2.6.22-2)
> >- this also happens with hardened-sources 2.6.22-r2 + latest reiser4
> >patch 2.6.22-2
> >
> >every time I'm booting into that system I get a corrupted libuuid.so* file:
> >it says things like: libfoo isn't an elf-file or similar
> >
> >it doesn't seem to matter if I'm using e2fsprogs 1.39 and
> >corresponding ss and com_err or e2fsprogs 1.40 with corresponding ss
> >and com_err, with booting I mean it only gets to that point and then
> >refuses and reboots since it's dependent on that critical thing (??)
> >other files also seem to get corrupted, I can't say which ones since
> >it reboots pretty fast
> >
> >util-linux version is 2.12r-r7
> >
> >it's strange to say but it doesn't matter if I'm booting the kernel
> >with ro or rw on /root data still gets corrupted (where /root is/was a
> >standard formatted reiser4 partition with mkfs.reiser4 out from a
> >livecd with 2.6.21-based kernel with reiser4-patch from namesys if I
> >recall right
> >
> >there's also no difference whether I use the old baselayout-1 or the
> >new and faster baselayout-2 (for that I have to append 'rw' at boot
> >otherwise reiser4 won't boot since it isn't recognized right)
> >
> >gcc-version is 4.2.1 hardened with pie 9.0.7, I'm sure this also would
> >happen with other gcc version
> >
> >I'm attaching my kernel-config so that you might be able to reproduce
> >it (hopefully) or at least get an idea of it
> >
> >since I need this pc right now I had to replay my system from a
> >tarball to a reiserfs partition, so I unfortunately can't collect any
> >further data
> >
> >Mat
> >

> Hmm.. It would be nice to compare hexdumps of "corrupted" and original
> files. Although, you have migrated to v3 already.. Well, I will keep it
> in mind,
> thanks for the report!
>
> Edward.

Well, this time it didn't work out that well - all data lost ;( (this
occured on another laptop),
I compiled that kernel on that laptop but disabled pageexec, segmexec,
kernexec (I hoped that it would work that way ;) )

it nevertheless happened, at first only a few files seemed to be
missing (1st mount from a livecd), I copied over some files (see
attachment), umounted, then I ran fsck.reiser4 -q /dev/foo on that
partition and only those files were left !!!!!!

(they're empty though, I opened them with khexedit and there are only zeros)

I've attached the kernel-config of that incident, hope it helps you

Mat