Re: reiser4-for-2.6.22-2.patch

On 7/28/07, Edward Shishkin <edward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Mat wrote:

    >I compiled a 2.6.22-based kernel with this patch & ran some tests
with default
    >reiser4 today - all I can say:
    >
    >you guys did an excellent job!
    >there's no corruption anymore, reiser4 feels rockstable & fast as always
    >
    >thanks a lot :)
    >
    >(I will test cryptcompress later, probably during the weekend & post if I
    >encounter any significant problems which I don't expect to happen :) )

    Yes, please.. Have the latest patch:
    ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.22/reiser4-for-2.6.22-2.patch.gz
    (it fixes some problems in the case when compression is enabled _and_ debug
    option is on).

    Thanks,
    Edward.

First of all sorry for the long delay and thanks for that patch :) ,

I'm rebuilding 2 systems right now and haven't noticed any severe hang
ups or data losses - great !
as memory is limited on these machines (1 GB) and heavy compiling is
happening I had expected OOM error or similar problems like in earlier
kernel versions but none happened!
a clear sign, that reiser4 is getting pretty mature

access time from time to time is a little high (e.g. launching of
firefox, openoffice and the kind) but ok, probably due to debug being
enabled

the only real "issue" is its still bad fsync / sync behavior:

in several cases if I call: "sync" it just sits there and syncs for up
to 15-30 minutes ! (called during idle),
I'm still able to launch apps but that state's not really acceptable
during everyday work or in heavy loads ( e.g. wanting to sync & then
shutdown the computer / laptop)
I suspect that it has to do something with preemptible setting in the
kernel but not sure, on the other computer with voluntary preemption
it seems to do better

I unfortunately can't investigate any further but only use it
regularly and see if I encounter any other problems (much work to do)

that's all so far

as already written:
keep up the good work & thanks a lot

Mat
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe reiserfs-devel" in