Re: Reiser4 performance bottlenecks and possible solutions

Hello!

I suspect your problem of "syncing for minutes" might be:

1, Not having a mount option "noatime,nodiratime"
2, Application sync/fsync/O_SYNC... too much
3, Memory size >>>> Disk write speed(what atom_max_size matters)

You may add the mount option yourself, the patch(for
"reiser4-for-2.6.21.patch.gz") added a mount option "fsync" as said
before(the default value is 100):

"Terrible fsync() performance has been talked for a thousand times
without a full solution. I'm thinking of a temporary solution: adding
a mount option and let the user determine the fsync() frequency(yes,
you may lose data when power-fail), things like:
you may use "#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp -o fsync=10" which means "fsync
once when invoked fsync 10 times""

The "atom_max_size" mount option seemed useless, so the only way is
modify the source code and re-compile. The patch modified the default
value of 1/4 mem_size to 1/8 mem_size which means if your HDD performs
a 30MB/s in "hdparm -t" and your RAM is 512MB, you would have
theoretically maximum 2 seconds waiting for atoms writing to
disk(change the value as you wish).

At last, if you're paranoid enough for performance, use
"formatting=extents" when mkfs.reiser4. Although tailing saves 5%-10%
space, you gain more performance from do_sync_read().

Thanks!