Re: rpm -qa and architecture info

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Yong Huang wrote:

`rpm -qa' shows the package names (and versions and releases). This command

rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH})\n'

shows that plus architecture. Is there a shorter command that does the same, i.e. shows name, version, release and arch? It's hard to remember and type that long line. I want something like

rpm -qa [a simple option that shows arch IN ADDITION TO what the preceding option i.e. -qa shows]

What I often do is create a file called /etc/rpm/macros.query_all_fmt and
add the following content:

    %_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

This will automatically show the architecture in a way that is compatible
with yum if you do rpm -qa.

This, however, will break any programs that does not specifically
provide a query format and somehow expects the default output (without
architecture).

To be honest, I think the current default is a design bug. Not specifying
an architecture results in non-unique output and causes confusion with
users.

Thank you very much! You're the only person that understands my question. (To others, thank you all too, but you all missed my point.)

I tried your /etc/rpm/macros.query_all_fmt. It works great. Can you give an example of a program "that does not specifically provide a query format" and fails after this file is created? And I agree with you on the "design bug" comment on the current default.

Hi Yong,

I don't know of any scripts in Red Hat that use the rpm -qa output without a specific --queryformat (or --qf). But I would not be surprised that this change interferes with some stuff (custom or vendor) in some places.

The stuff I wrote myself all uses --qf specifically :-)

--
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --