Re: vmware

mark wrote:
Well, I'm finally setting up a vm, to test out CentOS 5.3. First time I fired
up vmserver, and it *looks* like it doesn't want to allow me to give it more
than 3.5G.

Which version of VMware Server are you using? If you are using a recent version you should be able to provision 8GB if your host supports this.

For VMware server 2+
"The maximum amount of memory that can be allocated per virtual machine has been raised from 3.6GB to 8GB. The amount of memory used by all virtual machines combined is limited only by the amount of the host computer's RAM. "

Second, I'd already created three virtual partitions using LVM, which I want to
use for the vm's datastore. In create datastore, I don't see any way to point
to anything *other* than a mounted filesystem - is there any way around that?

"A datastore is a storage location for VMware Server virtual machine files. The storage location can be the local file system, a CIFS store (Windows only), or an NFS‐mounted file system (Linux only)."

re:
http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html

HTH,
--