Re: Change the block size of file system from 4K to 8K

This implies that you cannot safely or reliably change it but you have to re-format the fs.., OK?

GM

George Magklaras wrote:
I assume that you are setting this up with ext3 and hence my answer ties to this. If your filesystem is different, you should say so.

Note: *In ext3, an 8K block size on the fs is only possible if you use Itanium and other 8K architectures. If your architecture is x86, x86_64, it is not possible to have a block size greater than 4k*. If you try to make an ext3 fs you will fail with an error message similar to this:

mkfs.ext3: 8192-byte blocks too big for system (max 4096)

So,if your server architecture can take it, you can
i)use parted post installation to make the partition and then type the following example (if your partition is called for instance /dev/sda2):

mkfs -t ext3 -b 8192 /dev/sda2

ii)There is also kickstart (http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html). From a quick browsing on the RedHat manual, I cannot find the exact switch to specify block size (must be set with size)

#part / --fstype ext3 --size=1024...etc

So, I would recommend number i) as a faster option.