Re: Source RPM

Allen, Jack wrote:
Hello: I am trying to track down what I think is a bug in the login
program and I want to look at the source. I have determined that
/bin/login is provided by util-linux-XXXXXXXXXXX. So I have found the CD
that contains util-linux-XXXXXXXX.src.rpm, but I don't know the exact
options to rpm to see what's in the rpm file and to extract the files I
want to look at. I would rather extract the file relative to some
directory I am in, not to /usr/src/redhat/*.

        I have read the man page on rpm and tried a few things, but do
not seem to be able to do what I want. So can some one provide me with the proper options to use?

The following allows a normal user, without write access to /usr/src/redhat, to install source RPMs . DO NOT DO THIS AS ROOT!

Create a file in your home directory called .rpmmacros and set the following macros:

%_topdir    %(echo ${HOME}/rpm)
%_tmppath   %{_topdir}/tmp

In this case the rpm root directory is $HOME/rpm (the temp directory used by rpmbuild is $HOME/rpm/tmp). The directory needs to exist before you can install source RPMs into it.

This should allow you to install a source RPM. After which the directory $HOME/rpm ought to contain the SOURCES and SPECS directories.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555