Re: yum issues with RedHat 5 servers

OK, just to reply for an update. As you can see on the bugzilla, RedHat admitted some backend caching problems. These appear to be gone now, all of my systems update without a problem.

Best regards,
GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Aaron Bliss wrote:
Hi all,
On a consistent basis, several RedHat 5 servers produce the following error
when attempting to update the boxes:
error was [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum

Googling this error, I've tried:
yum clean all
yum clean metadata
rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*

None of those seem to have any lasting effect.  We have several Centos
servers, none of which have this issue.  This problem is only effecting
RedHat servers.  Is there any real solution to this problem?  Is there
anyone actually affiliated with RedHat that can say this issue is being
addressed?  I've found a post dated back to 2006 speaking of this issue:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-beta-list/2006-September/msg00170.htm

Obviously not being able to consistently patch servers is a serious issue.

Aaron