fence_apc & APC AP7941

I'm running RHEL 5 on a few machiens trying to implement clustering. I'm at the part of getting fencing to work. I have fencing working with my Brocade Fibre switches and now I'm setting up fencing with my APC AP7941 PDUs.

I suspect there is a bug in the fence_apc code for my specific AOS & APP version:

Network Management Card AOS: v3.5.6
Rack PDU APP: v3.5.5

fence_apc shows a version of 2.0.84 with a builddate of Tue Sep 9 16:28:58 EDT 2008

I've attached the log file generate by fence_apc below.

It seems like this specific version of the AOS & APP isn't supported. What is happening is the script successfully logs into the PDU, then issues the command "1" correctly. It then determines the FIRMWARE_REV (as v3) then issues two commands at once "2" followed by "3". Using the other firmware option, it only submits one command "3". Because of this on its next step of submitting the outlet number, it thinks its at a different position than it really is (because it hasn't parsed all the output of executing both commands) at the same time. It then gets caught in an endless loop of trying to execute a command.

I can see this in the function do_power_switch in fence_apc. I've googled around and haven't seen any information related to this, so I think I found a bug.

Is anyone else using fence_apc with this specific PDU? I have fencing working with the fibre switches, but not sure if I need a backup fencing device.

(I know I'm starting to ramble but its really clear in my head, I swear)

Ryan

Telnetting to apc switch cicpdu2
Mon Dec  1 19:20:25 2008
socket open to cicpdu2

User Name : Sending login: apc
apc
Password  : Sending password: apc
***

American Power Conversion Network Management Card AOS v3.5.6 (c) Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved Rack PDU APP v3.5.5
Name      : cicpdu2                                   Date : 01/27/2001
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 11:08:18
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Administrator
Up Time   : 22 Days 0 Hours 21 Minutes                Stat : P+ N+ A+

Switched Rack PDU: Communication Established

------- Control Console -------------------------------------------------------

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
> 1

------- Device Manager --------------------------------------------------------

     1- Bank Management
     2- Outlet Management
     3- Power Supply Status

     <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
> 2

------- Outlet Management -----------------------------------------------------

     1- Outlet Control/Configuration
     2- Outlet Restriction

     <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
> 1

------- Outlet Control/Configuration ------------------------------------------

     1- Outlet 1                 ON
     2- Outlet 2                 ON
     3- Outlet 3                 ON
     4- Outlet 4                 ON
     5- Outlet 5                 ON
     6- Outlet 6                 ON
     7- Outlet 7                 ON
     8- Outlet 8                 ON
     9- Outlet 9                 ON
    10- Outlet 10                ON
    11- Outlet 11                ON
    12- Outlet 12                ON
    13- Outlet 13                ON
    14- Outlet 14                ON
    15- Outlet 15                ON
    16- Outlet 16                ON
    17- Outlet 17                ON
    18- Outlet 18                ON
    19- Outlet 19                ON
    20- Outlet 20                ON
    21- Outlet 21                ON
    22- Outlet 22                ON
    23- Outlet 23                ON
    24- Outlet 24                ON
    25- Master Control/Configuration

     <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log