Re: How do you write dvds?

On Nov 13, 2008, at 10:29 AM, mark wrote:

Margaret Doll wrote:
On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:35 PM, mark wrote:

Margaret Doll wrote:
I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't
recognize
any of the dvds that I have tried.

  HP  DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
  Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
  Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
  imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour

I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.

What DVDs do you use?

Cheap Phillips DVD+R.

Hmmm. how did you try to use it? Open "New Data DVD Project", and
after that,
you're saying that in the upper left hand window, it's showing the DVD
burner,
but no medium?

That's right.

I have tried k3b, cdrecord which comes with RedHat and cdrecord
installed from the source in /usr/local.

I can write cds, but I cannot write dvds.  I think there is a problem
with the drives.

That begins to sound like the case. I recently tried to make a music CD, and it
wouldn't recognize the medium, but then I realized I'd put in a DVD.

Question: will it *read* DVDs?

I was able to write the dvd on a aux drive. The newly creted dvd can be read on the cd/dvd reader, but not on the cd/dvd writer. /mnt/ cdrom can read, /mnt/cdrom1 cannot.

Its the drive.

Thanks to everyone for the debugging help.  k3b is a nice program.

	mark