Re: wrong command

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Vivek Mangal wrote:

By mistake i run below command on root.
# chown <user> -R /

It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files
then how i can recover my system from this problem ?
i think i have to change back ownership of all directories manually ?
or their is other way to do this.... ?
please tell me

A reinstall would be much better, but if you like to live on the edge, something like this should work:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}=%{version}-%{release}\n' | xargs apt-get install --reinstall

This requires you to have all the packages you have installed to be available from a repository that is configured in apt.

If you don't have the exact package versions available, you might as well do:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | xargs apt-get install --reinstall

On a 64bit multilib system this would become a bit more complicated but I doubt it is impossible :)

If some packages are not in a repository, you'd have to filter them out with some grep -v expression.

BTW A similar thing is possible to convert a RHEL system to CentOS or backwards.

--
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --