Re: RHEL vs SUSE

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: RHEL vs SUSE
From: Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/30/2008 03:30 PM
I'd hate to say this but I've been overly disappointed with the RedHat Sales and Technical personnel that have come in. In my work place I was actually working to get SUSE, but a major project we are deploying only supported RHEL4. With that said.. what kind of program are they wanting you to develop? You should be able to easily use it for both distributions.
Ben

I would rarely ever need a support call out of SUSE or Red Hat. In fact, the larger side of my company doesn't set up any updates for SUSE and they always remain on the base version.

It's record keeping software for pharmacy. We'd be using PostgreSQL for the database. It's terminal based currently, with a transition to a GTK2 environment sometime in the next few years.

I realize that they are essentially the same OSes with different names, but politically I am against SUSE. Also, there have been issues I've seen with SUSE on our bigger side of the company, which is already actively using SUSE. I guess in the end I will be developing in Fedora (as I do currently) and publishing in SUSE. Ugh.