Re: login delay without Internet

If you're just logging in, the only thing the host really needs is to be able to authenticate you. So if you have local authentication, a local home directory, and no network drives that need to be mounted, it should work without a network connection.

If it's a DNS issue, something has to be looking to resolve a name. You don't need name resolution to log in unless you authenticate to NIS or LDAP (or something similar), or are requesting some network storage. If you're checking nsswitch.conf, I would check the passwd, group, shadow and automount lines.