Re: RedHat 5.1 CUPS problems

hike wrote:
Not that I do printers often, but

(1) are you using a CUPS supplied drivers or HP's driver/PPD file, or your
own PPD.
CUPS installed a "Postscript (recommended)" PPD automatically. I have tried several other drivers, with no difference in the output.
For text output, you can write your own PPD.  HP PPD information is fairly
easy to find; IIRC, googling "ppd" & "HP" or the such brought up a lot of
information.

(2) your description could be a font translation problem: document to HP
built-in fonts.
It could also be a page definition error: the margins are different 1" on
one and 1.25" on the other.  The printable area value or the margins appear
to be different.
It appears that your current driver/ppd has an automatically linefeed after
paragraphs.
It could something else entirely.
It could be a combination.
Page margins (left, right, top and bottom) are all set at 18 points (1/4"). Where can I change the imageable area under CUPS 1.2?
It all this, be thankfully that you are dealing with an HP printer.  Xerox
has VERY little information on their printer (that we used) and it was a
bear to get things right (the printers in question were 3 suites down and
the Oracle Financials consultant didn't understand what information I
needed--it was all trial error on my part).
We standardized on HP long ago, for the same reason.

Personally, I almost always use the generic/laser printer/postscript for
CUPS and have never had a problem.

For HP printers, you can start with the original laserjet driver.  If it
works, you can go through the HP drivers/PPDs until it breaks.  (Or until it
starts working.)
Thanks.  We will continue playing.