Re: Problem with X server

Wiedemann, Shane CIV NAVAIR wrote:
So this problem is most likely user error; none the less...
I have some software (only one other place has this software) that to
view video windows that the software tries to pop up, you need to use
the following command to get it to display:
"software_name -display hostname", or at least that is what I am told.
I have inserted my hostname where it says "hostname" and verified with
"uname" that my hostname is correct.  I am not connecting to a remote
machine, am not on a network and am running the software on a
stand-alone machine.  The vendors of the software do connect remotely, I
believe, and they can pop video display windows just fine.  Whenever I
run the software, I get a message that says "Unable to connect to x
server". I currently have the DISPLAY variable set to ":0.0" and this seems to be
fine for opening programs, such as NEdit.  Any other setting (even
"hostname:0.0") and I cannot start programs such as editors and other
programs that open in a separate window.  I get errors that say "can't
open display" and the like.

When I run the software, if I leave out the command "-display hostname"
all video rendering is done behind the scenes, i.e., I can't view it.  I
have tried replacing "hostname" with all of the following:
hostname:0.0
:0.0
hostname:0
localhost
localhost:0.0
localhost:0

Any clues?

I think you probably need to enable your X display to listen on the network.

The software you are using is pretty strange. It should not be necessary to specify the -display option, it should use whatever DISPLAY is set to. However, given that it does what it does, you are pretty much at its mercy.

By default the X display does not listen for network (TCP) connections, it allows local connections using a UNIX domain socket. If you have DISPLAY set to :0 clients will connect on the UNIX socket, but if you specify a hostname (even localhost) then the connection will be done on a TCP socket. If the X server isn't listening on a TCP socket then the connection will fail. This is a quite sensible security precaution (it prevents any non-local clients connecting to your display, even if you use the xhost + security disabler) but can cause problems for any software which expects to be able to connect via a TCP socket.

To enable the TCP socket you need to modify the X server startup. How you do that depends on what version of RedHat you are using. For RH 4 it is set in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf. To enable TCP connections you need to change the line:
  DisallowTCP=true
  DisallowTCP=false

In KDE desktop you can also set this using the System Settings->Login Screen dialog (I presume there's something similar for Gnome). In the Security tab un-check the box marked "Always disallow TCP connections to X server".

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555