Re: Rpm Upgrade - rollback

I am planning on upgrading a couple of mysql rpm's to a later version by
running the Rpm –Uvh  command. If for some reason I run into any issues
when running the upgrade, what is best way of rolling back to the current
working version. Can I just do an un-install or is it more complicated than
that. Any help would be much appreciated.

I would use 'rpm -Uvh <packages> --repackage' This will make an rpm (located in /var/spool/repackage) of what you have in place before the upgrade, which should include any modifications to any files distributed with the rpm(s) in question. Beware that this new rpm will not be signed by Red Hat, nor will its signatures match. If you have not changed anything, I suppose it doesn't buy you a lot to do this instead of reinstalling your original rpms, assuming you still have them. Either way, I would make sure to backup with mysqldump before you do *any* rpm changes.

Barry