Re: Case inSensitivity File system for Linux

On Apr 9, 2008, at 6:15 PM, mark wrote:
Jai Rangi wrote:

I am new to the list and not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Also I already have done some googling without much success,

I need a file system in Linux which is not case sensitive. I tried JFS,
but it keeps crashing, so looking for something more stable.

Idea is that ABC.txt should be same as abc.txt ad AbC.txt.

Does anyone know something reliable case insensitive file system that
can be deployed at the enterprise level?

Sorry, but all Unix is, by definition (AFAIK) case sensitive. Maybe there's
some odd shell that would work for you, but I don't know of it.

<satire>
I've got it, someone could write a WinDoze shell for Unix!
</satire>

Wel, this is not the solution to the original poster's problem (and is probably off-topic for the list), but your definition is wrong. The default HFS+ filesystem in Mac OS X, which has (arguably) sold more copies of a Unix-based operating system then any other in the history of Unix, is not case-sensitive:

[0]sklarbook:~ $ uname -a
Darwin sklarbook.local 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
[0]sklarbook:~ $ rm ABC.TXT abc.txt
rm: ABC.TXT: No such file or directory
rm: abc.txt: No such file or directory
[1]sklarbook:~ $ echo "hello" > ABC.TXT