Re: question about pam_tally and the faillog

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Tangren" <bjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:17 AM
Subject: Re: question about pam_tally and the faillog

I am running a number of RHEL ES 4.5 systems, fully updated.

The problem I am having is baffling me. I am using pam_tally so that three
consecutive unsuccessful logins will lock out the user, until an hourly
cron script unlocks the account. It has worked fine for a number of years.

Anyone?

I've noticed the same problem with other accounts. suing to root tallies a
failed login, even though the su was successful.

Are you talking about remote SSH logins?

Are you using the UsePAM directive in your sshd_config file?