Re: [OT?] CISSP training guidance requested

Bill Tangren wrote:
I have a Linux background, but I am now the Information Assurance Manager
here, and I have been "requested" to obtain CISSP certification. What I'd
like to know is,
I am. I work in the health care industry and I was also "encouraged" to pursue the CISSP. I attended a week long bootcamp at the local university and spent another two weeks making flash cards covering all ten CBK domains. I then flew up to Chicago and took the test and passed...barely I presume since they never tell you your score.

1) anyone out there been certified, and willing to give pointers?
The test is not a true test of knowledge, it's a test of tests. It's not one of those tests you walk away knowing if you passed or failed. For me, it was six hours of head scratching and second guessing.

If so,

2) what prerequisites will I need? What should I study?
https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=539

3) are "boot camps" the way to go to get the certification?
The boot camp I attended covered only about 50% of the test material. Do not expect to pass with a boot camp alone.

4) how long before should I prepare for the exam?
I did it in three weeks, but that was with ten years of experience behind me. If you have IT experience it will be a review of things you should already know....and more.

5) Any study materials available on the web, or elsewhere?
The "Yellow Book" is the official CISSP review book. I would get a copy and make flash cards over each of the main topics.

Any advice is appreciated.
Overall all, like any cert, it is what you make it. I'm certified, buy I only feel competent in about 4-5 of the 10 CBK domains. I'm also a tech guy and many of the CISSP positions tend to me management ($$$). As such, I find it very hard to maintain my required CPE credits simply because my normal job functions make it very hard to participate in CPE qualifying activities. I stand to lose my cert if I don't get with the "program". I must also add, administration gave me a very healthy raise when I passed so that was an added benefit.

Hope this helps,

Jim