wtmp won't rotate

Many thanks for the tips on shutting off the xscreensaver. I could not remove it because there were too many dependencies. I ended up reading the man page and found how to turn it off. Should of done that in the first place. I did read the man page for wtmp. I've put it in logrotate.conf to rotate wtmp, but it won't do it. They are running RHE 4 and need to have wtmp make a copy of wtmp and start over with a new month. This linux box is attached to an instrument, it is used by the students and faculty and they need it each month so they can bill these people. Does anyone know how to make wtmp go to wtmp.1 wtmp.2. It presently just
deletes wtmp and starts a new month.
Many thanks for all of your help. I couldn't live without this mailing list, at least not as an IT person.
Paula

--
Paula J. Lindsay
IT Analyst III