openldap and password aging links?

I'm just looking into password aging using openldap, and would appreciate if anyone had a link or links to a FAQ, Howto, or discussion that does *not* end in "but that's a question for another mailing list...."

What I have is this: one server with local passwords, and all the others are using openldap. Ideally, I'd like to a) age passwords, and b) allow users to change their LDAP password without me needing to get the encrypted passwords from them and then do an ldapmodify....

      mark