A sendmail and mailing list question

We're having an issue at work: the corporate mailserver's
gone from a propriatary package to sendmail. The propriatary
one allegedly did not verify addresses before sending, while
sendmail, at least in the configuration they're using, does. One
team of users (production) sends out an alert to subscribers,
which can be many hundreds, and conceivably over a thousand,
emails. We batch them in groups of 100, so as not to be handled
as spam by the filters. However, what we're seeing is failing
after 4 or 5 min, RSET by a timeout.

This *can't* be right. This list is surely running on sendmail,
and I'd be very surprised if there were less than a 1000
subscribers to this list, yet a posting is out in minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? One guy at work was wondering if they are
not caching domains (it does seem to be verifying each and every
address).

    mark