Re: script problem

I have a backup script that I wrote.  In it I have a variable that
has listings of directories to back up. Because of some of the sizes of the
directories, and for other reasons, they now want me to break them where I
back them up into multiple files with the name of the directory instead of
all in one file.  It would be simple except that I can't find how to get
just the final directory name for each directory.

Example:
DIRSTOBACKUP= "/usr/local/bin
/etc
/home/steve
/usr/local/src"

If you just want your results to end up as bin.tar.gz, etc.tar.gz, steve.tar.gz etc for your example below, can't you just use basename ?

-jq