Re: consent to monitoring banner for ssh

Well, you *could* do the "acceptance by logging in" thing... or you can force them to type [yes|no]. Here's how I accomplish that.

#Set the /etc/issue file to the login banner.  This one has no linefeeds,
#so it will wrap accordingly.
cat <<EOF >/etc/issue
YOUR WELCOME BANNER.
EOF

#This part creates the same login banner once your username and password has
#been entered.  This has linefeeds in it.
cat <<EOF >/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default
#!/bin/sh
#
# Note that any setup should come before the sessreg command as
# that must be 'exec'ed for the pid to be correct (sessreg uses the parent
# pid)
#
# Note that output goes into the .xsession-errors file for easy debugging
#
PATH="/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/X11R6/bin:$PATH:/bin:/usr/bin"

/usr/bin/gdialog --yesno "YOUR WELCOME BANNER"
if ( test 1 -eq \$? ); then
   gdialog --infobox "Logging out in 10 Seconds" 1 20 &
   sleep 10
   exit 1
fi

gdmwhich () {
   COMMAND="$1"
   OUTPUT=
   IFS=:
   for dir in $PATH
   do
       if test -x "$dir/$COMMAND" ; then
           if test "x$OUTPUT" = "x" ; then
               OUTPUT="$dir/$COMMAND"
           fi
       fi
   done
   unset IFS
   echo "$OUTPUT"
}

XSETROOT=\`gdmwhich xsetroot\`
if [ "x$XSETROOT" != "x" ] ; then
   # Try to snarf the BackgroundColor from the config file
BACKCOLOR=`grep '^BackgroundColor' /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf | sed 's/^.*=\(.*\)$/\1/'`
   if [ "x$BACKCOLOR" = "x" ]; then
       BACKCOLOR="#76848F"
   fi
   "$XSETROOT" -cursor_name left_ptr -solid "$BACKCOLOR"
fi

SESSREG=\`gdmwhich sessreg\`
if [ "x$SESSREG" != "x" ] ; then
   # some output for easy debugging
   echo "$0: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp"
echo "$0: running: $SESSREG -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x \"$X_SERVERS\" -h \"$REMOTE_HOST\" -l \"$DISPLAY\" \"$USER\""

exec "$SESSREG" -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "$X_SERVERS" -h "$REMOTE_HOST" -l "$DISPLAY" "$USER"
   # this is not reached
fi
#Some output for easy debugging.
echo "$0: could not find the sessreg utility, cannot update wtmp and utmp"
exit 0
EOF

#/etc/ssh/sshd_config banner settings.
perl -npe 's/^#Banner \/some\/path/Banner \/etc\/issue/g' -i /etc/ssh/sshd_config

--
Shawn D. Wells
Solutions Architect, Federal Team

mups.cp wrote:
You're right, this give users an out. I forgot the ~/.ssh/rc check.
Your approach to set the users' shell to a script seem better