Re: Forking the discussion - attempting to update a laptop running redhat... RE: Any Certified Laptops In The Future?

Virden, Larry W. wrote:
 In the past week or so I 'inherited' a hand me down Dell laptop that is
running red hat 7. This is my first redhat as well as first linux
system, though I've used other types of unix for years.

When one is running a low resource hardware item like a laptop (mine has
256 meg of memory and about 8 gig of disk), what's a good migration

*snort*

"Low resource"? Lessee, I used to run RH7 on *way* less than that in terms of RAM, and less than that for a h/d, and I'm running RH9 for my firewall/router on half that memory (no X, though).

path? I mean, I presume that attempting to use whatever update mechanism
exists is going to attempt to download a LOT of files - probably more
than will fit on my disk, and for that matter, which might not run even

What do you want/need on the system? Are you compiling, and/or running a d/b, and/or running apache, or do you have some proprietary bloatware that eats resources?

Remember, you can still d/l a linux that runs on a 486, and maybe even a 386.

	mark