Re: Bind

Mad Unix wrote:
Hi linuxers

I am setting up a DNS/BIND for my local office 100 users for resolving
internal (nonroutable) and external names (internet)
for internet usage it works fine but for internal one it shows problems
am not using real name i called only my.lan
my DNS server 10.5.1.30  hostname: linux1.my.lan
my clients having 10.6.x.0/24
my servers having 10.5.0.0/16

can any one tell me what am doing wrong?

root@linuxvmware:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.5.1.30
domain my.lan
search my.lan
[snip]
view localhost_resolver {
        match-clients      { localhost; 10.5.0.0/16; 10.6.40.0/24; 127.0/8;
};
        match-destinations { localhost; };
        recursion yes;
        include "/etc/named.rfc1912.zones";
};

At a wild guess, I'd say this is probably your problem, your zone files look like they are setup correctly.

if I am reading this right, your view basically says that the only destination for a query is 'localhost' yet I am guessing that you are not performing these queries on the localhost ? and even if you are, you may find that the 'destination' is actually 10.5.1.30 which != 127.0.0.1

I could be wildly wrong however :-) but it does seem like a views problem - you may also want to turn on debugging and then try again, bind does have some very good query debugging tools that are overly verbose.

logging {
        channel our_syslog {
                syslog local3;        # send to syslog's local3 facility
                severity info;        # only send priority info and higher
        };

        category default { our_syslog; default_debug; };
        category lame-servers { null; };
};

Thats my log entries for named, changing 'info' to 'debug' will boost the verbosity quite substantially and generally helps find where queries are failing. (obviously it will pay to setup syslog.conf as well to write local3.* entries to a seperate file)

Maybe try changing your logging levels to 'debug' as well, restart named and see if you get more info in the logs when performing the query that is failing.

--
Steve