Re: 8gb memory on Redhat AS 2.1

t wrote:
Hi All,
Im running Redhat AS 2.1 on an IBM HS20 Blade Server.
I have just upgraded the ram to 8Gb.
The 8Gb memory shows up in the bios but the linux system only shows 4gb?

Is there any special way to get the extra memory recognized in Redhat AS
2.1?

I have a server that's running Redhat ES 2.1 that has 8gb of ram.
That system has a custom kernel and is running on different hardware,
I'm wondering if that would be the reason why?

Its been a while since I compiled a kernel, but I believe there used to be a 'bigmem' option that needed to be enabled if you had more than 4Gig of RAM in the box.

I dont recall which kernel version this was in - try pulling down a 2.4.x kernel and running the make xconfig (or whatever) on a box and seeing what options there are and comparing it possibly to your custom kernel's 'make xconfig' ?

--
Steve.

--
Steve.