Re: VMware server

On 10/2/07, McDougall, Marshall (FSH) <Marshall.McDougall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This may be OT, but there is lots of knowledge here.
>
> I am looking for a P2V tool that I can use to scrape my RH Linux
> servers.  The vmware converter that vmware gives out is only useable on
> windows servers.  What are you folks using for this?  Thanks.

I haven't tried it, but:

"NOTE: Experimental support only is available for Linux-based physical
to virtual machine conversions using the Vmware Converter BootCD (cold
cloning) if the source physical machine has SCSI disks."
--http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/faqs.html

That requires VMware Converter Enterprise, BTW.

Haven't yet been put in a situation where we've needed to migrate
physical Linux machines to VMs.  Unless VMware Converter's support
becomes something more than "experimental", I imagine we'd kickstart
new VM and "migrate" that way.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis
http://www.jeremygaddis.com/