Scroll Wheel Not Working Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My old Microsoft Intellimouse died, and I replaced it with a new one (same model, buttons, etc). However, the scroll wheel won't work on the new one (worked like a charm on the old one). Setting ZAxisMapping to "4 5" or "6 7" (after remapping the buttons with xmodmap) in the xorg.conf hasn't worked. Using xmodmap also tells me it has 15 buttons instead of 7 (but where the extra 8 buttons are, I don't know). When using xev, the only event it registers for the scroll wheel is when I click down on it, but not scrolling either way. Without xev registering scroll events, is this telling me that the mouse itself is bad, or could it be some other problem?

--
John C. Nichel IV
System Administrator