RE: RHEL 5 on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC

Gaddis, Jeremy L. <mailto:jlgaddis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Monday, June 25, 2007
9:24 AM:

> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>> The 600SC was "certified" on RHEL 3.  That would lead me to
>>> assume that it'll run RHEL 5 just fine, but YMMV, of course.
>>
>> New on this list and to RHEL.
>
> RHEL is awesome, I am sure you will soon love it as much as many of us
> do.  Welcome to the list, as well.

I've come to appreciate the long-time stability on RHEL, coming from windows
and some fedoras/other distros.

Thanks. 8-)

>> Is it generally assumed that new RHEL-releases are backwards
>> compatible, and thus certified, on eg server-systems like this
>> Dell mentioned?
>
> I don't believe this is "officially" the case, but more times than not
> this has been the case (in my experience, anyways).  I'm sure there are
> instances where new versions of RHEL will not include something
> (drivers/other software/etc.) that was needed for a previous version
> (especially in the case of older hardware), but RHEL supports a *lot* of
> hardware devices.

Figured as much, but wanted an opinion from you guys as well.

> As always, if your system isn't on the HCL, make sure to test it
> extensively.

Yupp, Standard Operating Procedure. 8-)

Speaking of the Redhat-HCL, is the certified hardware db on RHN intentionally
not so extensive? I looked for some Asus-motherboards but nothing was listed
to be either certified or compatible, in fact I did not find anything Asus. Am
I maybe looking from the wrong end, and should really be looking for chipsets
instead of motherboard brands and preferrably whole systems instead of single
components?

Thx for the feedback!