Re: Chrooted sftp on rhel3

How would I go about creating a chrooted SFTP on RHEL 4 or  5?

Is the process much different?

Johan Booysen wrote:
Hi,

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I've managed to get it to work in the following way:

I copied the directories you create in your chroot jail (in my example
the directories etc, lib, and usr in my chroot jail /home) to the
individual ftp user's home folder:

# pwd
/home
# ls -l
total 24
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jun 15 10:41 etc
drwx------    3 ftpuser  ftpuser      4096 Jun 15 11:20 ftpuser
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Jun 14 17:28 lib
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 Jun 14 17:26 usr

# cp -r etc ftpuser/
# cp -r lib ftpuser/
# cp -r usr ftpuser/

And then I modify /etc/rssh.conf and add an entry for that user:

user=ftpuser:011:00010:"/home/ftpuser"  # sftp with chroot

And that works, it seems.

:)

I'm writing up a complete guide here:

http://joedonner2001.wordpress.com/red-hat-el3/sftp-server-within-a-chro
ot-jail

but just note that it's not 100% accurate at the moment.

Johan