Re: files with strange permissions and attribute

Ali, Saqib wrote:
This morning I noticed the following files on my RHEL 5.0 server:
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? insert visio buttons.exe
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visbut97.dot
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visbut97.xls
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visiomso.bmp
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visiomso.doc
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visiomso.dot
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visiomso.xls
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? visioppt.ppa
?---------  ? ?      ?         ?            ? vismsobt.pot

I know the files belong to the MS Visio media. But I am not sure what
happened to the permissions and the attributes.

They were fine till yesterday. Can anyone tell the question marks indicate?

Thanks
saqib
http://www.linkedin.com/in/encryption

Check the permissions on the parent directory. This looks like something I've seen on RHEL 4 when I didn't have read permission, but much to my surprise I could still get a list of files like yours. It seemed like a bug to me, but I didn't pursue it.

-Wayne