Re: Which Kernel for Dualcore Intel CPU - singel or SMP

Jim Canfield wrote:
Götz Reinicke wrote:
Hi,

today I've noticed, that on two of our dualcore intel servers non-smp-kernels where installed by RH EL5 by default. Now I was thinking, if I do get any benefit installing the smp-kernel ...? Any ideas or suggestions?

Load SMP kernel, without it, you don't take advantage of the dual core. RH usually detects and installs SMP though....curious.

AFAIK, Redhat 5.0 always installs an SMP kernel.

I don't have single processor 5.0 machine to check but I did check my 5.0 repository at work and in i386 there is only a kernel RPM, a PAE kernel RPM, and a xen kernel RPM. In x86_64 there is only the kernel and xen kernel RPM's.

uname -rv should tell you for sure but I'm pretty certain you will not see more than one processor in /proc/cpuinfo unless you have SMP.

-Jim

--
Stephen Carville <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Systems Engineer